Menu

Location

Foreign Body Surgery

Pets can accidentally swallow foreign bodies when they are only attempting to taste or play with them. This is especially true for puppies, who explore the world with their mouths. At Pleasant Valley Veterinarian Clinic in McMurray, PA, our team has seen many different objects that pets have swallowed and we are here to help your furry friend. 

.

What Types of Items do Pets Swallow? 

When your pet is playing with a toy, they will sometimes chew off and swallow a small piece. Other foreign bodies pets often swallow include small pieces of jewelry such as earrings or earrings backs, bones, and meat skewers. String, tinsel, and yarn are very appealing to cats, leading to them being accidentally swallowed. Other potentially dangerous objects include rocks, golf balls, sticks, leather items, coins, and batteries. When these items are ingested, they may foreign body surgery for removal.

What Are the Signs of a Pet That Swallowed a Foreign Object?

Several signs indicate your pet has swallowed a foreign object. Your pet may paw at his or her mouth, drool excessively, and choke or gag repeatedly. Your pet may refuse to eat, vomit, have a swollen and painful belly, and have trouble defecating due to blockage. If you see any of these signs in your pet, you should bring your pet to the veterinarian as soon as possible. Our veterinarian will assess your pet’s condition and determine whether or not foreign body surgery is necessary. Items that can be removed from the stomach with ease will eventually move down into the intestinal tract, which causes a very dangerous blockage. 

How Our Veterinarian Can Help

Our veterinarian will usually begin by performing an X-ray to identify and locate the foreign object. This will also show if the object is causing a dangerous blockage or not. Smaller items may pass through the digestive system on their own. Our veterinarian team may induce vomiting to expel the object, or they may be able to retrieve the object with specialized tools. Larger objects that reach the intestinal tract will require foreign body surgery.

Call Our Professional Veterinary Team

If your pet has signs of swallowing a foreign object, call our veterinarians at Pleasant Valley Veterinarian Clinic in McMurry. Foreign body ingestion is an urgent matter, and you will want to bring your pet to our animal hospital immediately. We will keep your dog or cat comfortable as we work to remove the object so your pet can return home and heal thoroughly. For more information on foreign body surgery or to schedule an appointment, call us at (724) 941-5484.

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

Monday:

7:00 am

7:00 pm

Tuesday:

7:00 am

7:00 pm

Wednesday:

7:00 am

7:00 pm

Thursday:

7:00 am

7:00 pm

Friday:

7:00 am

7:00 pm

Saturday:

8:00 am

1:00 pm

Sunday:

Closed

Closed

Testimonial

Read What Our Clients Say

  • "Dr. Hart and Madison were ABSOLUTELY AMAZING with my dog. Both of them made me comfortable the entire time. My dog can be a bit overwhelming to those that don't know her because she LOVES people. I kept apologizing for her wanting to be hugged and so excited. It can be embarrassing sometimes. They both assured me that it wasn't a problem and they both actually showed love to her. That really made my heart happy! Thank you all so much I really appreciate it."
    Maranda A.
  • "Wonderful visit! Caring Doctors and staff really make this a top shop vet office. Recommend without reservation!"
    Elizabeth L.
  • "Less than 24 hours after our visit, our dog's symptoms have improved dramatically! He is feeling a lot better already. This is why we always turn to PVVC!"
    Raina C.
  • "We took our bunnies to Dr. Hart and she was the best! One of them had an infection and Dr. Hart was so sweet and gentle with her in her treatment. My son had been very distressed about the situation and she treated him so nicely. We will definitely be back!"
    Annissa F.
  • "My Harley loves going here because he feels loved back by everyone. Dr Mike takes very good care of him."
    Jan R.